Thursday, Sept. 13 | Opening Hour | 9:00am - 10:00am
Session 101 - Head to Head Depository Banks vs. Private Equity 2018/2019
- The evaluation of lender objectives in 2018/2019
- Who wins: Competition among asset types (multifamily, hotel, industrial, etc.)
- Who wins: Competition among loan types (acquisition, development, refinance, etc.)
- Who wins: Certainty of close
- Who wins: Cost of capital
Moderator: Jason Jackson, HFM, Chief Executive Officer - IBS Investment Bank
Jordan Simler, First Vice President, Commercial Banking Team Leader - Valley National Bank
Jesse M. Flowers, II, Community President - CenterState Bank
Todd Billings, President & Chief Executive Officer - USDV Capital, Inc.
Juan M. Barcelo, Vice President of Sales - Silver Hill Funding, LLC
Hour 2 | 10:45am - 11:45am
Session 201 - Bridge Financing and Private Lenders - Is There Too Much Capital in the Market?
- What are the new sources of capital? Are they getting deals done?
- What asset classes for bridge lending are overheated? What asset class is under served or has opportunities?
- How does a projected increase in interest rates and increase in cap rates affect bridge lending? How do bridge lenders survive a slow down?
- Do you underwrite to loan, to own or not?
Moderator: Rahul V. Shah, CPA, Managing Principal and Co-Founder - Sherpa Capital Group, LLC
Daniel Sobelman, Director of Investments - Pangea Properties
David Eyzenberg, President - Ezyenberg and Company
Marc Zegen, Vice President - Madison Realty Capital
Session 202 - Multifamily Debt, Equity & Investing: Finding the Right Fit
- Investing: How to differentiate yourself and win deals in today's competitive environment
- Debt: Bridge loans, preferred equity, and other creative financing solutions
- Looking forward: Staying ahead in 2019
Moderator: Noah Miller, Vice President of Acquisitions & Finance - Pensam Residential
Chad P. Musgrove, Vice President - Hunt Real Estate Capital
Denny St. Romain, Managing Director - JLL
Zachary Sackley, Executive Managing Director - Cushman & Wakefield
Michael J. Sommers, Senior Vice President - Grand Peaks
Hour 3 | 12:00pm - 1:00pm
Session 301 - Construction Financing/Lending
- How are raising interest rates affecting construction loan underwriting?
- What are lenders looking for in sponsorship?
- What projects are lenders looking for at this part of the cycle?
- Can apartments underwriting survive higher interest rates?
- Closing the gap: Filling in the capital gap between equity and the 1st construction loan
- What makes construction lenders say "Yes"?
- Hotels: Opening doors to new lenders
Co-Moderator: Ralph N. Cram, President - Envoy Net Lease Partners
Co-Moderator: Richard Hill Adams, Chairman & Chief Executive Officer - American Realty Capital Advisors
Brett D. Forman, Chief Executive Officer - Trez Forman Capital Group LP
Donald H. Moses, Managing Director - Arena Investors
Additional Panelists to be Announced
Hour 4 | 2:30pm - 3:30pm
Session 401 - When Debt and Equity are Not Enough - Alternative Sources of Capital
- Different types of solutions such as tax credits (historic/new), EB-5 and PACE
- What are the pros and cons of each of these options?
- What are the different situations and asset classes where these solutions are utilized?
- How do lenders underwrite these different types of solutions and how do each affect pricing, leverage and term?
Moderator: Javier Herrera, Vice President of Originations - BridgeInvest
Melissa Rose, Managing Director - Ackman-Ziff
Adam Lipkin, Executive Director - Counterpointe Sustainable Real Estate LLC
Alex Horn, Managing Partner - BridgeInvest
Chris Drew, Senior Managing Director and Co-Head of Miami Office – HFF, LP
Gregory M. Santin, Senior Lender, Commercial Real Estate - Florida - TD Bank, NA
Hour 5 | 3:45pm - 4:45pm
Session 501 - Investing Strategies for a Changing (and Volatile) Market
- How are real estate investors, lenders and developers adjusting and adapting to key 2018 changes to the tax code, interest rates, industry trends, market volatility and the geopolitical environment?
- What strategies are being pursued as we (possibly) move to a different point in the real estate cycle? Are development projects still being actively pursued? Have lenders tightened terms, changed focus or otherwise changed any of their views? What other strategies are investors pursuing?
- How has the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act affected real estate lending and investment? Has the new tax legislation lead to more deals or perhaps different types of deals and/or changes in 1031 exchange activity?
- How has the prospect of rising (and volatile) interest rates impacted deal activity? Are more or fewer deals getting done today? Are these deals being re-traded due to market movements? Are "coupons" changing - or have lending spreads tightened?
- How have investors and developers changed or modified business strategies to reflect changing industry trends and market conditions, including volatility and geopolitical uncertainty?
Moderator: Jason Miller, Chief Investment Officer - Grand/Sakwa Properties
Seth Denison, Esq., Managing Principal - Brickell Ventures
Bradley Ross, Vice President - Madison Realty Capital
Marc Shuster, Esq., Partner - Berger Singerman
Session 502 - The Next Big Investment Opportunity for the Capital Markets: Innovative Independent Luxury Hotel Brands with a Focus on Concept, Design and Expansion into Emerging Markets
- Who are the hoteliers, developers and designers behind the latest independent lifestyle hospitality residential projects?
- Acquisitions/Development: Innovative independent owners and investors leading the charge in development and acquisition in emerging markets
- Redefining the Lifestyle market segment to generate greater returns for financial partners and investors
Moderator: Trica Jean-Baptiste, Founder - Morgensheer Hospitality Inc.
Robyn Pratt, Founder - Impact Consulting Ltd.
Kajsa Krause, Co-Founder - Krause Sawyer Inc.
Robin D. Staten, Founder - Tiny Urban Escapes
Agnes Pierre-Louis, Senior Consultant - Horwath HTL
Friday, Sept. 14 | 9:00am - 10:00am
Session 601 - Exchanging Operational Leverage for Financial Leverage - Joint Venture Equity Investing Today
- What are the most active joint venture equity investors looking for from operating partners?
- In a world awash with capital, where do investors find new opportunities today AND how do they differentiate themselves from other firms?
- What are typical waterfall structures/how do institutional investors think about return attribution/who owns beta?
- Is it better to make friends before you need them OR approach investors with an actionable opportunity?
Moderator: Bill Fishel, CAIA, Senior Managing Director/Los Angeles Office Co-Head - HFF, LP
Justin Smith, CFA, Managing Director - Long Wharf
Michael Friedland, Principal - KKR Financial
David Moret, President and Founder - Highline Real Estate Capital
Session 602 - How to Fund and Finance Your Real Estate Deals and Chasing Retail Credit
- How to obtain access to money for development, redevelopment or repositioning projects
- What type of retail are lenders lending on today - corporate vs. franchisee credit?
- What criteria do lenders require to lend on single tenant and larger development projects?
- What is happening with interest rates and cap rates in the next six months?
Moderator: Pamela J. Goodwin, Chief Executive Officer - Goodwin Commercial
Jonathan Mettel, Regional Director, Southeast Region - Money360, Inc.
Mark Fogel, President and Chief Executive Officer - ACRES Capital
Maruta "Marti" S. Mang, Senior Vice President - City National Bank
Hour 7 | 10:15am - 11:15am
Session 701 - The Future of EB-5 Investment in the U.S. Construction Industry
- Current state of the EB-5 program in general - including recent legislative changes
- How to determine if EB-5 funds can be used for your project and how much can be raised?
- How to determine placement of EB-5 funds in the capital stack & EB-5 impact on other financing players
- How to make your project legally compliant & attractive to EB-5 investors & how to raise EB-5 capital
Moderator: Justin Blackhall, Esq., Chief Investment Counsel - American Lending Center, LLC
Suresh Rajan, Chief Executive Officer - LCR Capital Partners
Michael McGinley, General Manager & Head of Hospitality Development - Live Oak Bank
Joseph R. Bonora, Managing Partner - Catalyst Asset Management
Session 702 - Small Balance Lending
- What is a "small balance" loan?
- What is the best execution for a small balance loan?
- How has the Freddie SBL impacted your business?
- How are you using technology in your business?
- What changes do you foresee in products/underwriting 2019?
Moderator: Keith T. Van Arsdale, President & Chief Executive Officer - BMC Capital
Charles Krawtiz, Vice President, Commercial Lending - Alliant Credit Union
Pat Jackson, Chief Executive Officer - Sabal Capital
Juan M. Barcelo, Vice President of Sales - Silver Hill Funding, LLC
Closing Hour | 11:30am - 12:30pm
Session 801 - Private Lending in the Face of Increased Regulation
- Florida came close to the finish line and close to requiring a lender license to originate business loans secured by residential property: Where is the country going?
- How will these additional regulations affect the availability of capital in Florida and elsewhere?
- Discussion of how private lending is changing in the Southeast of the country
- The latest trends from primary markets moving to tertiary markets
Moderator: Nema Daghbandan, Partner - Geraci LLP
Robert M. Barthelmess, Managing Partner - BGI Capital
Gary Bechtel, President - Money360, Inc.
Will Nelson, Loan Production Manager - Columbia Pacific Advisors, LLC
Trey Aulls, President - Secured Investment Lending Corp.